Call for Artists – 2019 Summer Sculpture Series
Downtown Midland is excited to welcome the LPGA Dow Great Lakes Bay Invitational to our community and the Great Lakes Bay Region July 15 – 20, 2019. To celebrate, we’re greeting golfers, fans, and visitors as only we can: the return of the Downtown Sculpture Series!
This is your invitation to get Tee’d Up Downtown as Downtown Midland and the Dow Great Lakes Bay Invitational present the 16th Annual Summer Sculpture Series.
Who can participate? Anyone with a great idea and the skills to create an amazing piece of Tee’d Up art – sculptors, artists, welders, hobbyists, students, wood workers, mechanics, enthusiasts, metal workers, recyclers…..if you have a love “fore” art you won’t want to whiff out on this one!
Eighteen artists will be selected to receive a pre-form sculpture of a golf ball on a tee measuring 42” in height and 21” in diameter. As a selected artist, you will have four weeks to turn your idea into an ace sculpture design that will be displayed in downtown Midland all summer long and as part of the Dow Great Lakes Bay Invitational activities.
There is no cost to enter. If submission is selected, you will receive a reimbursement of up to $100 to help with the cost of materials.
- Artists can be professionals or novices, individuals, groups, businesses, or organizations.
- Pieces must be weatherproof, as they will remain outside, enjoyed by downtown Midland guests all summer long.
- At the end of the season, all sculptures will be auctioned with the proceeds used to fund the 2020 Summer Sculpture Series.
- Pictures of all pieces and their artists’ biographies will be featured in the Summer Sculpture Guide. All artists are also invited as featured guests at the end-of-the-season sculpture auction.
- All pieces will be judged at the end-of-the-season auction for a chance to win prizes as a Peoples’ Choice winner and Judges’ Choice winner.
- Sculptures will be autographed by Dow GLBI players prior to auction.
A Judge’s Choice Award of $2,500 will be
awarded to the overall best sculpture!
Don’t miss your chance to be part of the Dow GLBI fun and get Tee’d up for the downtown Midland summer sculpture series.
Deadline to apply is Wednesday, March 7 at 4:00 PM.
Sponsorships are also available for businesses interested in sponsoring a sculpture. For questions or more information about the 2019 Tee’d Up Downtown sponsorship information contact the DDA office at (989) 837-3313 or firstname.lastname@example.org